- Remove clutter and clear off counters.
- Put excess furniture in storage.
- Remove out-of-season clothing items that are cramping closet space.
- Purge and organize kitchen cabinets and pantry
- Don’t forget the garage
EXAMINE WITH CRITICAL EYES...
- Take care of minor repairs- sticky doors, torn screens, and dripping faucets may seem small but give the impression that the house isn’t well-maintained.
KEEP EVERYTHING LIGHT AND BRIGHT...
- Wash your windows and screens to bring more light into the home.
- Put higher wattage bulbs in light fixtures to brighten up rooms and basements.
- Replace any dim/burned-out bulbs in the house including in closets or above the stove.
- Clean the walls, or better yet, brush on a fresh coat of neutral color paint.
- Replace heavy curtains with sheer ones that let in more light. You want to be sure to show off any views that you may have!
CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN…
- A clean house will make a better first impression and sends a message that the home has been well-cared for.
- Pay special attention to fingerprints on light switch plates, the stove and the refrigerator.
- Polish your doorknobs and address numbers.
- Mop and polish floors. If you have tile consider having the grout professionally cleaned.
- Eliminate odors by cleaning soft surfaces like carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking odors, smoke, and pet smells.
- Open the windows to air out the house.
- Use a mild scented candle or air freshener.
CHANNEL YOUR INNER DECORATOR…
- Add a touch of color in the living room with colored throw or new accent pillows for the sofa.
- Buy a flowering (or faux) plants to add life to dull areas.
- Use brightly colored bowls of fruit or flowers for centerpieces.
- Set the scene – create vignettes throughout the home to help buyers picture living there. For example, in the basement you might display a game in progress.
- Highlight the fireplace. Lay fresh logs in the fireplace or put a basket of flowers there if it’s not in use.
- Make the bathrooms feel like a luxury spa. Add a new shower curtain, towels, and few fancy guest soaps (make sure your personal toiletry items are out of sight).
DON’T FORGET CURB APPEAL…
- Cut the grass, trim bushes, prune plants, rake the leaves, freshen up the mulch, and edge the walkways.
- Clean the gutters.
- Add color with bright flowers near the entryway.
- Make necessary driveway repairs.
- Check the exterior walls, fences, and garage doors for any issues.
ASK FOR HELP IF YOU NEED IT…
- If you need help consider hiring a cleaning service. If you’re on a budget ask friends/family and to pitch in.
- Hire professionals- Speak with your agent about staging and/or home organizing services.